Elementary Particle Physics II
Physics 880.02, Spring 2009
Office: M2042 Physics Research Bldg
Office Hours: Monday, Wednesday 2:00 - 3:00 pm
Course Meets: Tuesdays Thursdays 12:30 pm - 2:18 pm, Smith Lab , room 1186.
Grader: Anastasios Taliotis
*** NOTE: First Class Meets April 7, 2009 ***
*** There will be no classes on Tuesday, March 31, and on Thursday, April 2, 2009 - I'll be out of town. ***
*** There will be no class on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - I'll be out of town. ***
*** To avoid conflict with the Physics Department picnic there will be no class on Thursday, May 28, 2009. Instead the class will take place on Friday, May 29, from 2:30 pm to 4:18 pm, in Smith 1186 (our usual meeting place). ***
- Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD): running coupling and asymptotic freedom, renormalons, quark confinement.
- Deep Inelastic Scattering (DIS) and parton model, DGLAP evolution equation, operator product expansion, hadron scattering and jets.
- Axial anomaly, instantons and the U(1) problem.
- Small-x physics and parton saturation.
Recommended Reading :
Here's a list of books to complement Cheng and Li. The books are listed in the order of
increasing difficulty (more or less).
- D. Griffiths - Introduction to Elementary Particles, Google Books (this book is more of a prerequisite, as it is at a less advanced level than the course, but is a good introduction to some topics)
- D. H. Perkins - Introduction to High Energy Physics, Google Books (also an introductory-level text)
- F. Halzen, A. D. Martin - Quarks and Leptons: An Introductory Course in Modern Particle Physics, Google Books
- H. Georgi - Lie Algebras in Particle Physics, Google Books (an excellent source on Group theory for particle physicists)
- M. E. Peskin, D. V. Schroeder - An Introduction To Quantum Field Theory (mostly Part III), Google Books
- J. F. Donoghue, E. Golowich, B. R. Holstein - Dynamics of the Standard Model, Google Books
- E. Leader, E. Predazzi - An Introduction to Gauge Theories and Modern Particle Physics, Google Books
- C. Burgess, G. Moore - The Standard Model: A Primer, Google Books
- S. Weinberg - The Quantum Theory of Fields, Vol. 2: Modern Applications, Google Books
- Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD)
- Parton Model and Deep Inelastic Scattering (DIS)
- Particle Production in High Energy Hadronic Collisions
- Axial Anomaly
Grading will be based on the HW's.