Quantum Field Theory III
Physics 880.08, Spring 2010
Office: M2042 Physics Research Bldg
Office Hours: Tuesday 2:00 - 3:00 pm, Thursday 10:00 - 11:00 am
Course Meets: Mondays Wednesdays 10:30 am - 12:18 pm, Physics Research Bldg, room M2015. (Note that the room is different from the one provided by the Registrar!)
Grader: Anastasios Taliotis
*** First Class Meets March 29, 2010 ***
*** There will be no classes on Wednesday, March 31, Monday, Wednesday May 10, 12, and Wednesday, June 2, 2010 - I'll be out of town. We will schedule makeup classes as needed.
*** There will be makeup classes on Fridays May 14, 28, 10:30 am - 12:18 pm, and on Wednesday, June 9, 10:30 am - 12:18 pm. The same room M2015 as always.
- Spring quarter: After tying come loose ends from Renormalization topic left over from last quarter, I will try to cover the following material:
- Functional integration
- Non-Abelian gauge theories, their quantization, Faddeev-Popov ghosts
- Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD): QCD Feynman rules, QCD beta-function, asymptotic freedom,
- Parton model of Deep Inelastic Scattering (DIS), hadronic collisions and jet production
- DGLAP evolution equations
- If time allows we will cover some other special topics on demand, probably from the following list: quantum anomalies, instantons and other topological objects in field theory, small-x physics and parton saturation, Electroweak theory - the choice is up to you guys
Recommended Reading :
Here's a list of books to complement Peskin and Schroeder. The books are listed in the order of
increasing difficulty (more or less).
Parton Model and Deep Inelastic Scattering
- Regularization and Renormalization (continued from last quarter)
- Functional Integral Quantization
- Non-Abelian Gauge Theories
Homeworks are due at 5 pm on the due date. Please put them in my or grader's mailboxes in PRB or give them to me in class (or slide them under my office door if other options are not available). (Solutions are password protected, they are for the use of OSU students and faculty only: if you are an OSU student or a faculty member and are interested in accessing them please write to me.)
Grading will be based on the HW's.