Resume in Job Search
- Expand on the sales pitch in the cover letter.
- Get you an interview, perhaps the first interview.
- Target resume to specific job.
- Be alert to scannable resume option.
Features of Resume
- Identifying data.
- Objective, especially for targeted resume.
- Summary of skills especially for scannable resume, use keywords to
help/force computer to pick you out.
- Education in reverse chronological order:
put before work experience if latter is limited.
- Work experience in reverse chronological order: (omit salary and
full address of former employers)
- Honors: place as relevant to education or workZexperience.
- Activities and interests: show commitment to major field or
company interests, and, if possible, leadership activities. (Omit
dangerous, frivolous, religious or political activities.)
- References: experts differ on whether they should be listed or said
to be available. What is important is to have identified those who
both know you best and will be trusted (and perhaps known) by potential
Obvious but ofter forgotten
- Clean, uncluttered, consistent layout on good paper.
- Total factual accuracy; use action verbs.
- Short. One page for submittal; two for subsequent contact.