Field-Rampable, 12-Tesla Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Abstract: Magnetic Resonance Imaging is the preeminent imaging
modality in clinical medicine. This non-invasive, powerful
technique yields excellent diagnostic images unsurpassed in detail
and contrast. MRI is the only technique that analyzes cellular
biochemistry within the living organ in real time. It promises
unlimited research opportunities in medicine, engineering and science.
MRI constitutes a pivotal technology for OSU's mission to become one of
the very best public research universities.
- With its investment in assembling the world's first and only whole
body 8 tesla MRI system, OSU has now positioned itself to become the
undisputed leader in clinical MRI.
- The university embarked on its 8 tesla project despite tremendous
financial, engineering and physical risks.
- Magnetic resonance imaging at 8 tesla has provided OSU with a
tremendous scientific adventure ...
Today, OSU can set the research direction in MRI for the entire world
with profound implications for medicine, engineering and science.
- At the same time, scientific discovery and engineering challenges
have not deterred us from our clinical responsibility.
- Initial MRI studies at 8 tesla have underscored the need for more
extensive studies into the physics and engineering aspects of magnetic
- OSU should embark on an aggressive plan to assemble the
first large bore (80 cm) fully rampable 12 tesla scanner.
Through the assembly and construction of its 12 tesla system, OSU will
provide its faculty with a university-wide opportunity for
OSU can establish itself as an institution without rival in medical