Comments on Medium Paper Draft -- Spring '01
Failure of Sentence Outlining
- No paper used sentence-outline sentences as topic sentences.
Some papers varied markedly from planned outline.
Long drafts not following sentence outline
will be returned.
- Bad: Good topic sentences in the outline were
jettisoned for weak ones.
- Worse: Paragraphs didn't have topic sentences.
- Worst: many paragraphs didn't have a point.
Problems with writing
- Introduction didn't introduce topic strings that drove text.
- Tenses varied through the paper. In doubt, use present.
- Overlong subjects (1.5 lines long) defeat reader.
- Figures: Several papers had no figures.
Those figures there were
(1) had no caption;
(2) were not used in text.
- No point of view: Several papers listed facts or
events without any motivation or point of view to animate the text.