First Class Meeting as a Sentence Outline
Abstract: To sell science-related content to
various audiences, use
(i) Nature of audience to refine the topic;
(ii) Take-home message to select and organize material;
(iii) Criticism to hone the presentation.
Refine technical content for intended audience.
- A different paper/talk for every audience.
- First two writing assignments have audience of non-science peers.
- Talks and last paper have class as audience.
Use take-home message to select & organize
- Identify take-home messages meaningful to intended audience;
accordingly, adjust level of science-content.
- Narrow subject to match length/time limits; eliminate
all material inessential to take-home message.
- A sentence outline (a) lays out presentation logic; (b) is easy to
revise; (c) speeds up writing.
Seek and use criticism to perfect presentation
- Drafts will be anonymously evaluated by class members.
- To effectively use criticism in improving a draft the author must
assume the criticism accurately reflects how well the reader could
understand the draft as written (not as intended by the author).
- Rewriting may mean throwing out the draft and restarting
at either topic refinement or sentence outline stage.
Epilogue: Skills stressed are relevant for
persuading a known audience.