Sample topic sentences
Free Radicals and Antioxidants
- Intro: raises topic strings:
- biological activity associated with free radicals
- antioxydants counter free radicals
- In biological systems, all atoms consist of nucleus surrounded by
four lobs of electrons; bonding and chemical activity occurs through
- Free radicals are atoms that have an odd number of electrons in one
of their lobs; they are unstable and highly reactive.
- In biological systems, most common free radical is the oxygen
- The oxidizing effect of the oxygen radical makes it harmful to
- Our bodies produce free radicals, especially when we are active.
- Free radicals are also produced by outside influences: radiation,
heavy metals and some medical treatments (e.g., chemotherapy).
- Molecular damage by free radicals can be prevented by antioxidants.