The SWIP mentoring program aims to develop activities that connect students and establish one-on-one relationships in order to promote a sense of community amongst women in the physics department at OSU.
The program provides an outlet for discussing topics such as:
- Professional development and career options
- Insights into life as a graduate student, post-doc, faculty member, research scientist, etc.
- Balancing research, course work, family, social, and extracurricular activities
- Applying to graduate school, post-doctoral research positions, industry jobs, fellowships, and scholarships.
Undergraduate students, graduate students, and post docs from the physics department or related STEM fields. We welcome both male and female students to participate. (Any preferences for your pairing can be specified in the application.)
Mentor/Mentee Pairing occurs in late September, however it is never too late to join and get paired up. Click on the online application any time of year.
- Mentoring program kickoff, Early October
- Monthly lunch or coffee with your mentor/mentee
- End of semester dinner as a venue for group discussion and a chance to meet other program participants
- ...What else? As a participant in the mentoring program, you are agreeing to one meeting a month in your pairing, however you are welcome to meet as often as you like beyond this requirement.
Email the program coordinator if you have questions about the program or suggestions for new activities, or if there is an issue you would like to have discussed at our next group event or discussion hour.